Tuesday, January 6, 2009

iCE SKATiNG

Today Me and Mahonri went Ice Skating in La Jolla with Jennifer's YMCA elementary students. This I have been wanting to do for awhile now since it's been too long since the last time I did. the Experience:
All the student's kept coming up to me asking "Are you Miss Jennifer's sister?" I met a funny, neat boy who was not shy at all and followed me around a bit. He told me how he had mistaken me for being Miss Jennifer but then realized there was something off. It was cute when he put his hands to his face and zonked his head to emphasize "Silly me".

Later on the ice I'd ran into him again like an old friend. At this point me and Mahonri pretty much owned in skating but noticed the little ones were showing us up with crazy tricks & SKATING BACKWARDS! I tried it but decided to hold onto the wall to start. That little boy came up to me thinking I was trying to figure out how to skate forward saying,

"Oh it's okay you just pretend you're walking- baby steps, like this!" ::boy.demonstrates::

Instead of arguing that I was actually trying to skate backwards & that's why I held onto the wall for help, I let him believe otherwise so that when I turned around to skate forward and could do it, he was quite impressed.

Mahonri pointed out blood on the ice to me. Uh-Oh! :/
Jen warned me to stay away from one of the boys because he had been on the ground fall after fall the entire time. Sure enough as she pointed him out he reminded me of Bambi when his legs were separated as he lay fallen on the ice.
Mahonri and I came to the conclusion that the blood was probably from this very boy.

Did I fall you wonder? Of course not. However I came close to falling a couple times. I got speed & then for some stupid reason decided I wanted to stop so as I went into the wall a little angled and tried to catch my hand with the wall, I jammed my nail. It hurt awhile but all was good.

I did an awesome 720 turn. I meant to show off a small 360 to Mahonri as I imitated the kids, but couldn't stop myself so it ended up being a very ungraceful, look-at-her-scared-face-720-turn. We laughed. My mother loves to watch the Ice Skating shows & competitions so it's something I enjoy as well. Being on the ice today reminded me that skating, doing an incredible jump, AND landing it safely is absolutely Talent.